Sunday, 6 December 2015

Tonight And The Schumer

We've moved the book club meet for Revenge Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger to this evening at 7:45, since there is no Walking Dead (FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR!! Whut???), and speaking of The Walking Dead; I saw Beth on The Knick half-nekkid and I'm still traumatized. Y U DO THAT, KNICK? Beth is a kid!!

But Emily Kinney is a beautiful woman. I still had to watch through my fingers

I'd like share my thoughts about Amy Schumer. We watched Trainwreck on Friday as our Dinner and a Movie and let's just say...I harbour strong opinions about her. But! I've also turned a corner.

I realised, after cranking away about the ridiculousness of her representing the "real woman" and "acceptance of curvy body types" and all those euphemisms for overweight when she is completely normal-sized and that "real woman" label is bullshit anyway, that I don't hate HER, I hate who I've always hated: the media and it's constant reinforcement of one narrow subset of acceptable appearance. That some people can not get work unless they starve, surgically alter or completely remake themselves to fit that narrow standard.

She's riding that wave, but that's marketing, that's how she's being sold and what freaking artist EVER would turn down such a golden opportunity? It's not like she invented the societal standards they're pretending she's broken the mold for.

So. It's not HER. She funny! Like, really funny. I roll my eyes at her deriding the "sex comic" label while she talks about her butthole more than a frat boy, but she has a lot to say about those perceptions and preconceived notions and good on her. I can't help but think we're on the same side and taking shots at her is cheap at best and detrimental at worst.

Funny is subjective, but I respect what she has achieved in a crazy short time. She writes an award-winning hit show and a blockbuster movie and has an HBO special and seriously: all the kudos.  That shit is amazing and even more so because you just don't see a lot of women DO that.  I look forward to seeing where she goes with it. Cheers!



12 comments:

  1. That's it! That's exactly it! *MASSIVE APPLAUSE* Awesome post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo Amy! It is sad that just because she has an ounce of fat on her body she's labeled as overweight and representing the every day woman. First of all, that is no way to talk to us real women. Its totally normal to lay on your bed and use the vacuum on your belly so you can squeeze into those spanks. Using only the suction with no attachments works best. What I like most is how unapologetic she is. Yes, she has questionable hook ups, drinks a bottle of wine every night, and can polish off a family size package of pizza rolls while crying over insurance commercials. Who cares?! That to me is a real woman, being 100% yourself regardless of anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She totally is unapologetic but still has to say it, which sucks. I was put off initially because I read her interview with Judd Apatow where she said she'd never had a one night stand in her life; and then proceeded to do a bit about a one night stand. That's the opening scene, btw. So i was cool with everything BUT her feeling the need to say she'd never dine and dashed. That part is societal pressure.

      And all that real woman shite pisses me off; being a woman, or even PERSON, means a lot of different things, not just sizes and opinions.

      I didn't understand the marketing, because she herself clearly doesn't think of herself as overweight; just bizarre

      Delete
    2. Women are only funny if they're "fat" or "ugly". Attractive, normal women are never smart, witty, or worth watching. Throw a few pounds on a girl and suddenly she's the second coming!

      Delete
    3. The media, and people too, really, like to separate women like that. Fat MUST be funny, beautiful can't be and plain must be super smart, with NO MIXING. Nice, straightforward stereotypes that we can all recognise when we turn on the TV so it doesn't hurt our widdle brains.

      Delete
    4. I wrote a post a while back about Melissa McCarthy and how nice it has to be to be free of all that, but looking at it from another angle: Jennifer Anniston is beautiful AND funny, Sandra Bullock, same. They just don't get any recognition unless they go ugly.

      So.much.manipulation of appearance just to work

      Delete
  3. Emily Kinney is no kid, she just has itty bitty titties. You should have seen her on Masters of Sex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has ZERO bewbies! If there was such a thing as negative bewbs, there she would be. But I still didn't wanna see them! Was she good on Masters?

      Delete
    2. Yeah she was good there. She's cute! Dr. Masters tried not to do her but he was lonely and couldn't resist. But she had her own agenda which was getting his clinic shut down.

      Delete
    3. I hear Lizzie Caplan is really good on there too! It's hard to separate Emily Kinney from Beth, she's so soft spoken in person!

      Delete
    4. Awww, Beth I hardly knew ye.

      Delete