Tuesday, 5 January 2016

Golden Globes Television Award Predictions

The Golden Globes, otherwise known as The Almost-Oscars-Plus-TV are fast approaching, the awesomesauce Veronica S has done all the legwork on these nominations, here's who I think will win, because of I know so much. HA!


For Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Limited Series, etc , we have:

Uzo Aduba - OITNB
Joanne Froggatt - Downtown Abbey
Regina King - American Crime
Judith Light - Transparent
Maura Tierney - The Affair

Now Joanne Froggatt won last year over Crazy Eyes, but Crazy Eyes rallied to take the Emmy this fall, in the Drama category no less, so she has to be considered a front runner. HOWEVER. Regina King took the Emmy for Limited Series at the Emmy's, so we have to think about her. Also not able to be ignored is Maura Tierney, who Sandybrook said was the best thing about The Affair, which means he just wasn't paying attention when dishy ol' Jasper was onscreen. I don't care about any of that, Crazy Eyes FTW


For Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Limited Series, etc  , up are:

Alan Cumming - The Good Wife
Damian Lewis - Wolf Hall
Ben Mendelsohn - Bloodline
Tobias Menzies - Outlander
Christian Slater - Mr. Robot

This one I'm shooting in the dark a little (not a euphemism), I've only seen two of these shows and I doubt either one has it. Christian Slater's role (as far as I've seen) on Mr. Robot, is essentially Christian Slater playing Christian Slater with an Anonymous bent. Damian Lewis was good in Wolf Hall; probably my favourite actor in that series, even with all the unintentional homo-eroticism, but I don't know if he can unseat the adorable Scottish imp Alan Cumming. I can't go with Ben Mendelsohn, because as well-rounded as he is, career-wise, I've never heard of him before. I looked at his picture, he's been in half a dozen shows and movies I have seen and: nada. Tobias Menzies, ehhhh. I will go with Damian Lewis FTW, since those bastages cut Wolf Hall right out of the Emmys.


We have, for Best Actor in a Series, Limited Series, etc :

Idris Elba - Luther
Oscar Isaac - Show Me a Hero
David Oyelowo - Nightingale
Mark Rylance - Wolf Hall
Patrick Wilson - Fargo

This is such a toughie; a stacked category with so many of my favourites. I have made no secret of my IDris and Oscar Isaac love, even Patrick Wilson gets a lifetime of devotion for Hard Candy. HOWEVER. Mark Rylance is widely thought to have a lock on this nod, and cover your ears, Reno! I thought he was the worst part of Wolf Hall and the main reason I didn't think it was as amazing as it could have been. So I can't go that way, and I can't go with IDris, as I don't actually think Luther is all that fantastic. I haven't seen the others, so I will have to go with Oscar Isaac solely because I lurve him. Shhhhhh it's my picks! Watch him dance!




The Best Actress in a Series, Limited Series, etc Nominees are:

Kirsten Dunst - Fargo
Lady Gaga - American Horror Story: Hotel
Sarah Hay - Flesh and Bone
Felicity Huffman - American Crime
Queen Latifah - Bessie

Everyone loves a comeback, so Kirsten Dunst has to be on the radar here, but everyone also loves a triple threat, so Lady Gaga also comes into play. I don't care, I dislike both and Queen Latifah was fantastic as Bessie, so Imma go with her.


Best Actor, Drama:

Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Rami Malek - Mr. Robot
Wagner Maura - Narcos
Bob Odenkirk - Better Call Saul
Liev Schreiber - Ray Donovan

This is another well-stacked category, but I think Jon Hamm got ALLS the love he was going to get with that Emmy, Narcos is too new for Wagner Maura to count, Bob Odenkirk isn't up to that level and Liev should get something for Spotlight, so Rami Malek better win, damnit. His work in Mr. Robot is a revelation; in a role that could easily slip into caricature, he carries it lightly but so clearly.


Best Actress, Drama:

Catriona Baife - Outlander
Viola Davis - How to Get Away With Murder
Eva Green - Penny Dreadful
Taraji P. Henderson - Empire
Robin Wright - House of Cards

It has to be Robin Wright, anything else is inconceivable. I like everyone here, Viola Davis does a strong complicated character justice and Cookie is EVERYTHING only due to Taraji P. Henson. It's just that Robin Wright plays that ice queen better than anyone does everything else. She scurry


Best Actor, Comedy: (we're almost done here, hang on!)

Aziz Ansari - Master of None (anyone else read that as Master of his own Domain? I blame Seinfeld)
Gael Garcia Bernal - Mozart in the Jungle
Rob Lowe - The Grinder
Patrick Stewart - Blunt Talk
Jeffery Tambor - Transparent

Everyone loves Aziz, and I'm hearing tales of trans-awareness backlash (what is WRONG with people???) so even though Jeffrey Tambor won the Emmy with a super touching speech and obnoxious showrunner, Imma go with Aziz Ansari. Reno will be recapping soon! Patrick Stewart has my heart but he already knows that (call me!)


Best Actress, Comedy:

Rachel Bloom - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Jamie Lee Curtis - Scream Queens
Julia Lewis Dreyfus - Veep
Gina Rodriguez - Jane the Virgin
Lily Tomlin - Grace and Frankie

I can't watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so...sorry Rachel. Also out is Scream Queens, whose premiere was 400 hours I will never get back, so, sorry Jamie. Gina Rodrigues took this last year, but Veep cleaned everything else up at the Emmys, so I'm guessing Lily Tomlin is a (my!!) demographic nod. JLD for the grudging win.

Her and Swifty, always surprised

Best TV Series, Drama:

Empire
Game of Thrones
Mr. Robot
Narcos
Outlander

No way are newbs Mr, Robot or Narcos gonna take this one and Orvi says season 2 of Empire is only worth it for the Cookie, so Imma go with Game of Thrones, OF COURSE. Mr. Robot really is fantastic, though, watch it!!

Totes does

Best TV Series, Comedy:

Casual
Mozart in the Jungle
Orange is the New Black
Silicon Valley
Transparent
Veep

I think everyone knows my feelings on this; I found some of the writing problematic on OITNB this season (Poussey went through a completely unbelievable arc and Suzanne's was RIDIC - a virgin? A virgin swirler??), not to mention some unfortunate stunt casting *coughRubyRosecough* and non-church fisting, but if Veep takes it, Imma mutherhumping RIOT.


Best Limited TV Series:

American Crime
American Horror Story: Hotel
Fargo
Flesh and Blood
Wolf Hall

I really need to see Fargo, Veronica says it's A-Okay, for sure yeah, but for now I will go with Wolf Hall because damnit it needs some love! Word on the street is that it's between AHS:Hotel and Flesh and Blood but I'll believe it when I see it.



And we're oot! Only a few more days of exhaustive pre-review, guys!!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, here's my list with none of the details above cos I can't be bothered typing it.

    MAURA - because ER
    TOBIAS - whaddya mean ehhhhh, and no I didn't pick Mr Eyebrows
    DAVID - because Oprah
    KIRSTEN - because Bring It On
    RAMI - because RAMIIIIIII
    CAITRIONA - because her Scottish hubs is HAWT
    AZIZ - because frozen yoghurt is ice cream for losers
    JLD - because Hugh Laurie
    MR ROBOT - because RAMIIIIIII
    SILICON VALLEY - because Bill Haverchuck
    FARGO - because Oh yah, you betcha!

    ReplyDelete