Saturday, 27 February 2016

Oscar: A look back at fashion; Red Carpet 2015

With the fact that Oscar is presented tomorrow night, let us take a look at Oscar fashion past; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Let's start with a Bookie favorite! What?! Anyway, Lady Gaga is nominated this year for Best Song. She's been glamming it up at all the awards shows for the past year, so we can expect something not quite as "look at me" than this. I don't hate it though. It's avant-garde couture at its best. Yeah, yeah. Stop rolling your eyes at me. Moving on.


Jennifer Lawrence is nominated again this year for Best Actress in the film, "Joy". While stunning in red and young enough to look gorgeous in anything, I hope peplum gowns are not the thing anymore.



Reese was nominated for Best Actress in "Wild" last year. This white and black gown was anything but. It's clean, modern and shows off her fantastic figure while being formal enough for the occasion.


Next we have Marion Cotillard, in a Dior Haute Couture eyelet gown. She was nominated for Best Actress in "Two Days, One Night". I'm not quite sure what to say about this gown. It's too unshapely for my eyes, but I have a feeling it might have looked different in person.


So far we're seeing lots of white gowns in a row, so let's turn to...silver. Yeah, not a whole lot of bright colors last year. Jennifer Aniston wears this Versace gown well, but I think it's a little too...Vegas-y or something. It's the fit of the bust and the see through leg panel. I usually love Versace gowns the best, but I'm not entirely sold on this one.

Let's stick with the Jens and take a look at JLo. JLo presented at the Oscars last year and I have to say I really love this gown. It's everything Hollywood glam should be. I love the skirt, the gold, the details of the sequins. Jen always seems to knock it out of the park with her Red Carpet gowns. Whatever you think of her, she has such a sense of style.


Here's some color for us finally. Emma Stone was nominated for Best  Supporting Actress in "Birdman" last year. She wore a green Ellie Saab gown and the color is stunning against her fair skin and red hair. I don't love the actual gown though, the style is a bit too matronly for her age.


Rosamund Pike was nominated for her role in "Gone Girl," which as we know was TTM's most favorite book and mover EVER. Rosamund wears a cherry red Givenchy gown and I quite like it. While I'm not fond of the panels on the side that make her waist look alien crazy size tiny, I love the color, the lace details, the slit and the cut of the gown.


So, more white, gold, silver and red. No black at all, save the bit that Reese wore. What say you this year at Oscar 2016? Will there be more bold color choices?

5 comments:

  1. May all the peplum look die in a fire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what Alicia Vikander wears *grabs popcorn*

    Like I'll notice if she has Fassy on her arm anyways

    ReplyDelete
  3. JLaw red carpet looks are either a hit or a miss with me. Last awards season was one giant miss, in fact I think the only Oscar look I've looked on Jen was when she was nominated for Winters Bone.

    Jen A is gorgeous but I feel like she only has one red carpet hairstyle. Anything other than the straight middle part looks odd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sad I have to spend any time watching that Window Licker (credit BeckyMae) Gaga

    ReplyDelete